A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Suggestions for MD2GA and these forums
User avatar
BarrGaming
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:34 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Postby BarrGaming » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:46 pm

I was thinking.. with all the botting and such going on in the Bnet world.. has Llama (or anyone else for that matter) thought about the possibility of hosting a private server for d2?

It could be vanilla or whatever the community wanted.. but if the financials and what not could be worked out.. it could be a server we could actually have fun climbing a ladder on.. no bots, nothing... we control when the ladder gets reset..

Think about it,

just an idea.. insert dislike here... hahaha.
Image


Message me if you need any Norm/Nm rush... sometimes I have stuff too.. so if you're new or having a hard time.. message me.. I might be able to help you out.
User avatar
illusion
Site Admin
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:22 am
Location: Central USA
Battle.net Account: xor_ebx_ebx
Contact:

Re: A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Postby illusion » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Local and I are actually already running one, but we haven't set up realms or ladder (it's "open battle.net" only)

There would be a lot of pluses to this. Like you already said, there would be almost no botting or spam going on. We could use whatever version of D2 we want, or not even have version checks. Integration with other services would become much easier, imagine being able to link your forums account to your battle.net account. If you want to go off the deep end of expectations, something like being able to trade items directly through these forums might even be possible. It would also be easy to support other "classic" Blizzard games. We originally set our server up for Starcraft and it magically worked for Diablo 2 as well

On the downside, we don't have the resources or knowledge to prevent hacking or botting like Blizzard does. There are probably old hacks and dupe tricks that would work on any system we could set up. Also, I'm with MrLlama when he says that a lot of people probably wont bother taking the extra step, it's as easy as downloading and double-clicking a .reg file, but a lot of people still won't do it. Plus, unless there's been advances I'm not aware of, running closed D2 realms requires either Wine or Windows on the server, and I really don't want to go there... On top of all that, I'm not sure about the system requirements of running a closed realm.

Anyways, I'm interested to see what everyone wants, but I'm guessing the answer, at least for now, is "no"
User avatar
local
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:18 am

Re: A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Postby local » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:43 am

I agree with illusion. most people won't even download the gateway changer.

another problem with private servers is that you just don't get as many people on them. I do see some llamas on ladder but mostly I'm playing with people who probably haven't heard of the MD2GA thing.
It's always been like that except for counter strike and such where multiplayer entirely consists of private servers.
User avatar
Enchantress_WoE
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:37 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Battle.net Account: Enchanter-B
Discord: Enchantress-WoE

Re: A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Postby Enchantress_WoE » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:24 am

I wouldn't know anything on the tech side of running a private server, but from the player side, I'd think the best possible way to go about it would be to start running streaming events of characters playing on the private server(s), with the premise being that eventually only Private Server Characters (PSC) are going to be included in future streams. Makes for one hell of an incentive to build up characters on the private server, and makes for a much closer, stronger community than bnet is going to deliver.

Just looking at the challenges, for instance, it is clear that private servers are the way to go, as bnet is never going to do such things, let alone stream them! Bnet is not making it possible for folks to watch others playthroughs, let alone instructional "How to" videos or anything at all, so having a private server, that has a nominal monthly charge to play on, seems to me to be the wave of the future.

My own favorite activity, Enchanting other folks characters, is well appreciated by those that receive it in game, but not much else, meaning, mostly folks love getting the benefits, but won't even consider working on sharing these benefits by making their own enchantresses, and taking turns giving out --- as well as receiving --- them from others. Right now, with all the bot games, why should anyone bother taking the time to work together, when they can just join an endless series of bot games and make levels far faster than they can achieve working through the game themselves, either alone or in a party?

Remove the bots from the picture, both for the sake of team orientated play, as well as the economy, and we would see a small scale recreation of D2 as it was before the rise of the machines {BOTS}, where folks had to EARN their gear and WORK for their levels, unlike currently on ladder bnet.

Would it be possible to have a fee as low as $1/month for a recurring payment, or save a bit and pay a once a year $10 payment to be able to play on your private server? I personally cannot pay much, but I think I would enjoy a bot free playing field, as the current ladder is totally meaningless.
Last edited by Enchantress_WoE on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
illusion
Site Admin
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:22 am
Location: Central USA
Battle.net Account: xor_ebx_ebx
Contact:

Re: A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Postby illusion » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Enchantress_WoE wrote:I wouldn't know anything on the tech side of running a private server, but from the player side, I'd think the best possible way to go about it would be to start running streaming events of characters playing on the private server(s), with the premise being that eventually only Private Server Characters (PSC) are going to be included in future streams. Makes for one hell of an incentive to build up characters on the private server, and makes for a much closer, stronger community than bnet is going to deliver.

Just looking at the challenges, for instance, it is clear that private servers are the way to go, as bnet is never going to do such things, let alone stream them! Bnet is not making it possible for folks to watch others playthroughs, let alone instructional "How to" videos or anything at all, so having a private server, that has a nominal monthly charge to play on, seems to me to be the wave of the future.
Our options for streaming gameplay from a private server would be pretty much the same as the options everyone has now to stream their battle.net games, sorry
Enchantress_WoE wrote:Would it be possible to have a fee as low as $1/month for a recurring payment, or save a bit and pay a once a year $10 payment to be able to play on your private server? I personally cannot pay much, but I think I would enjoy a bot free playing field, as the current ladder is totally meaningless.
This is possible, and would cover server costs easily. But now we have the problem of not only will people not want to bother with gateway changing, they also won't want to pay for it. I wonder how difficult it would be to make it subscribers only (as in MrLlamaSC's subscribers)
local wrote:It's always been like that except for counter strike and such where multiplayer entirely consists of private servers.
If only it was that easy... We could have started out that way from the beginning
User avatar
Enchantress_WoE
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:37 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Battle.net Account: Enchanter-B
Discord: Enchantress-WoE

Re: A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Postby Enchantress_WoE » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:09 pm

illusion wrote:
Enchantress_WoE wrote:I wouldn't know anything on the tech side of running a private server, but from the player side, I'd think the best possible way to go about it would be to start running streaming events of characters playing on the private server(s), with the premise being that eventually only Private Server Characters (PSC) are going to be included in future streams. Makes for one hell of an incentive to build up characters on the private server, and makes for a much closer, stronger community than bnet is going to deliver.

Just looking at the challenges, for instance, it is clear that private servers are the way to go, as bnet is never going to do such things, let alone stream them! Bnet is not making it possible for folks to watch others playthroughs, let alone instructional "How to" videos or anything at all, so having a private server, that has a nominal monthly charge to play on, seems to me to be the wave of the future.
Our options for streaming gameplay from a private server would be pretty much the same as the options everyone has now to stream their battle.net games, sorry
I don't follow here, MrLlamaSC's streams are all of Bnet and TCP/IP characters right now, but if he chooses to go the route of streaming of only PSC's, even if only for some small part of his total streaming content, then the folks that pay to play on the private servers will get streams that are drawn from a small, close knit community, that they may actually know and play with the folks that are in the stream games, is like being part of a team, that could all get to take part in a stream game or two at some point. So it's NOT about what could be done, but rather about what MrLlamaSC decides to do with his streaming efforts. That was the point I was trying to make.
illusion wrote:
Enchantress_WoE wrote:Would it be possible to have a fee as low as $1/month for a recurring payment, or save a bit and pay a once a year $10 payment to be able to play on your private server? I personally cannot pay much, but I think I would enjoy a bot free playing field, as the current ladder is totally meaningless.
This is possible, and would cover server costs easily. But now we have the problem of not only will people not want to bother with gateway changing, they also won't want to pay for it. I wonder how difficult it would be to make it subscribers only (as in MrLlamaSC's subscribers)
You are already running a private server ATM, correct? What does it then cost you to at least try, as you have already incurred all costs, and now are in a position to transition to a means of recouping those costs? I don't subscribe (currently) to MrLlamaSC because I don't really have all that much money, and AFAIK, the minimum subscription is $5/month, and with no discount yearly rate being offered, so right now, I would be paying a yearly fee of $60, and thus exceeding what I actually payed for D2 when it was new. That I would not do, even if I could, and for the same reason I never got into World of Warcraft, namely, I don't need my recreation activities to start costing me money, but rather to remain something that costs me nothing (or so little as to be nothing) to do, but fills up my time.

If you did decide to make your private server available, I for one would be willing to buy a year's worth of subscription, assuming the $1/month or $10/year rate posited above, and as you have indicated above, if everyone did this, all the costs would easily be covered.
User avatar
illusion
Site Admin
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:22 am
Location: Central USA
Battle.net Account: xor_ebx_ebx
Contact:

Re: A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Postby illusion » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Enchantress_WoE wrote:I don't follow here, MrLlamaSC's streams are all of Bnet and TCP/IP characters right now, but if he chooses to go the route of streaming of only PSC's, even if only for some small part of his total streaming content, then the folks that pay to play on the private servers will get streams that are drawn from a small, close knit community, that they may actually know and play with the folks that are in the stream games, is like being part of a team, that could all get to take part in a stream game or two at some point. So it's NOT about what could be done, but rather about what MrLlamaSC decides to do with his streaming efforts. That was the point I was trying to make.
Okay, I think I see what you're saying now. Having MrLlama behind us would definitely increase, but he's already said several times he doesn't want to do a private server
Enchantress_WoE wrote:You are already running a private server ATM, correct? What does it then cost you to at least try, as you have already incurred all costs, and now are in a position to transition to a means of recouping those costs?
The server we're running doesn't have realms, and is running behind a VPN. Just opening it up to others would take some work, it would probably be easier to set up a new server. Since it's only "open battle.net" right now, that meas that 99% of the work is done on the client side. Having realms would shift some of that load to the server. So, the cost of running the server increases with the number of users.

There's also the case of compatibility. Our current server is incapable of running closed realms because (as far as I know) the software to do so doesn't exist for our current operating system (if anyone knows of a D2GS that runs on *nix systems, please correct me). Basically, it will require setting up either some kind of emulation layer (that will eat resources) or a server that runs Windows. If I could have easily set this up, I would have done so already just to gauge interest

Then there's the added task of setting up a payment system and a system to allow paying clients to create accounts. Off the top of my head, I don't know how hard this would be, but I'm sure it's do-able

The point I'm trying to make here is that setting all this up will be a non-trivial job. And, right now, I only see a couple of people that really seem to want it, I'm certainly not going to do this if there's only going to be like five people that use it. Anyone who really wants to see this happen (and anyone who doesn't) needs to speak up in this thread, because I can guarantee you this will never happen if BarrGaming and Enchantress_WoE are the only people that say they want it
Enchantress_WoE wrote:I don't subscribe (currently) to MrLlamaSC because I don't really have all that much money, and AFAIK, the minimum subscription is $5/month, and with no discount yearly rate being offered, so right now, I would be paying a yearly fee of $60, and thus exceeding what I actually payed for D2 when it was new. That I would not do, even if I could, and for the same reason I never got into World of Warcraft, namely, I don't need my recreation activities to start costing me money, but rather to remain something that costs me nothing (or so little as to be nothing) to do, but fills up my time.
Unrelated, but you do know that you can subscribe for free if you have Amazon Prime, right? Might as well give that $5 to someone
User avatar
Enchantress_WoE
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:37 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Battle.net Account: Enchanter-B
Discord: Enchantress-WoE

Re: A suggestion possibly worth some thought

Postby Enchantress_WoE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:55 am

illusion wrote:
Enchantress_WoE wrote:I don't subscribe (currently) to MrLlamaSC because I don't really have all that much money, and AFAIK, the minimum subscription is $5/month, and with no discount yearly rate being offered, so right now, I would be paying a yearly fee of $60, and thus exceeding what I actually payed for D2 when it was new. That I would not do, even if I could, and for the same reason I never got into World of Warcraft, namely, I don't need my recreation activities to start costing me money, but rather to remain something that costs me nothing (or so little as to be nothing) to do, but fills up my time.
Unrelated, but you do know that you can subscribe for free if you have Amazon Prime, right? Might as well give that $5 to someone
Yes, I am aware of that. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, the cost of Amazon Prime (AFAIK) is $10.99/month, so more than twice the cost of a subscritpion. :o :(

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest