Illusion's Summoner Build

illusion
Site Admin
Battle.net Account: xor_ebx_ebx

Illusion's Summoner Build

Postby illusion » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:13 am

Might as well tell everyone my favorite build. A note first;

This build is slow. Getting kills will take time, especially when you get into hell difficulty. This is not a build to be speedrunning with. On the plus side, this build is pretty safe. You should rarely even be getting hit, and even if you do, your health should be pretty high for a caster. This build is also pretty lenient about gear, you don't need to be farming/trading for Enigma or anything (but it helps). This build is also one of the few that doesn't have much trouble with immunes in hell, since it's mostly physical damage and Amplify Damage can remove physical immunity

Skills
Skill points 1-3 go into Raise Skeleton
Skill point 4 into Skeleton Mastery
5 goes to Amplify Damage
6 into Raise Skeleton
At 7, you should be able to get Clay Golem
8 and 9 will be Teeth and Corpse Explosion
10-12 go into Raise Skeleton
13 goes to Skeleton Mastery
At 14, you should be at least level 12, so put a point into Golem Mastery
15-17 go into Raise Skeletal Mage

At this point, you want to max Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Mastery. Stop to put a point into Revive, Summon Resist, and (if you want them) Iron and Fire Golem. After that, the basic part of the build is done and you have a couple of options (you'll be able to do a couple of these):

Max out Raise Skeletal Mage
These guys offer ranged elemental damage, which is useful, but they're kinda weak. They also offer a little bit of a meat (lol) shield, but you should be getting enough of that from your regular skeletons. I usually go for this option, because I like the elemental damage

Max out Revive
You should have at least one point in here (which will hopefully be five with your +skills), but you can max it if you really like it. Revived creatures can be pretty powerful, but having 20+ of them is just plain overkill. They're also hard on mana and really stupid. Seriously, I've seen revives just stand there and get killed, and they rarely follow you through levels. I usually don't put more than a point in Revive

Pick a golem, max it and/or Golem Mastery
Three of the four golems can be really nice. I really don't like Blood Golem, but that's mostly coming from a time when shared health with it would get you killed easily. Clay Golems can be pretty tanky and have a useful slowing effect. Iron Golems made from a good item can be almost OP (but, you sacrifice a good item). Fire Golems have a useful Holy Fire aura and are immune to fire. I sometimes go with Fire Golem

Max out Corpse Explosion
Corpse Explosion is second only to Teleport on the awesome meter. The only problem is, putting more points in it only increases the range and cost, not the damage. This skill is most useful on tight clumps of enemies, so more range isn't always helpful. I usually leave it at one point

Get and max Bone Spear/Spirit
These two can be useful in helping you get initial corpses or take out annoying uniques. They deal magic damage, which not many monsters are immune to. On the downside, they cost mana that you might not have. I usually max Bone Spear

Get other curses, possibly max them
Probably the best three curses for a summoner are Amplify Damage, Decrepify, and Lower Resist (if you have mages). Other curses are useful, especially if in a party, but I find myself using these three the most. I usually go after Decrepify when I've done everything else I want

Stats
You should get enough strength to wear your gear (off the top of my head, around 110). If you go pure summons, you might be able to get by with no points into energy, but I would get it to around 80. All of your extra points should go into vitality. Don't put anything into dexterity

Gear
Anything with +skills, especially +skills to summons. If you can get Enigma, having Teleport is really helpful, since all of your minions will teleport with you. This can be really useful in tight spaces

Mercenary
The obvious best choice are the Act II mercenaries. Pick whichever one you like best. I like the ones with Blessed Aim and Prayer

There you have it. A pretty flexible build that can solo hell given some time
illusion
Site Admin

Re: Illusion's Summoner Build

Postby illusion » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:29 am

tl;dr

20 into Raise Skeleton
20 into Skeleton Mastery
3-20 into Raise Skeletal Mage
1-20 into Golem Mastery
1-20 into Clay Golem
0-20 into Blood Golem
0-20 into Iron Golem
0-20 into Fire Golem
1-5 into Summon Resist
1-20 into Revive

1-20 into Corpse Explosion
0-20 into Bone Spear
0-20 into Bone Spirit

1-~5 into Amplify Damage
0-~5 into Decrepify
0-~5 into Summon Resist
Roachbro

Postby Roachbro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks for the build, I shall be using it later on today :D Is there anything in particular i should know about the necromancer as a first timer that would help me/cause me problems if i didn't know about it?
Cheers in advance.
Twitch - Roachbro
Diablo 2 - Roachbro (EU Player on USE)
Most other things - PandaSmash
illusion
Site Admin

Postby illusion » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Roachbro wrote:Thanks for the build, I shall be using it later on today :D Is there anything in particular i should know about the necromancer as a first timer that would help me/cause me problems if i didn't know about it?
Cheers in advance.
This build gives you a lot of head room to screw around and learn how to play necro. After the first few levels, you shouldn't be running around hitting things (in fact, if you're playing hardcore, I'd seriously consider tping if you get hit at all). Also, the Maggot Lair in Act II is going to seriously suck, try to get someone to run with there
YoMachine

Postby YoMachine » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:20 pm

Illusion...

I'd recommend the Nightmare Offense Merc w/the Might Aura...this definitely adds some punch to your meat shield

Once I get my Hammerdin gear'd up...my next char will be the Skelimancer...

GL

Yo...
illusion
Site Admin

Postby illusion » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:05 am

YoMachine wrote:Illusion...

I'd recommend the Nightmare Offense Merc w/the Might Aura...this definitely adds some punch to your meat shield

Once I get my Hammerdin gear'd up...my next char will be the Skelimancer...

GL

Yo...
That's a definite possibility. Honestly, any of the Act II mercs work well with a summonmancer